Saturday 24 May 2014

Lime Marmalade


I found loads of yellowing but perfectly sound limes in my pig veg the other day. I Googled a recipe and found this.

I had 1.8kg of limes with a few lemons thrown in. I added the bicarb and then decided to use a kilo of SureSet sugar. I didn't want it very sweet so only added another 400g of granulated sugar (1.4kg of sugar to 1.8kg of fruit).












When I say it is delicious I am not exaggerating. It is sublime. It retains that lovely fresh zingy lime flavour with just the right amount of sweetness to counter balance the acidity. If it hasn't set sufficiently after a couple of days, reboil rapidly for a few minutes. I had to do this and it set perfectly.




Lime Marmalade and Poppy Seed Cake



200g butter softened
175g sugar
2 large eggs (I used duck if using hen use 3 medium)
250g plain flour sieved
1 level teaspoon baking powder sieved
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 tablespoons lime marmalade

For the icing
125g icing sugar
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 180 fan. Cream butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add a tablespoon of flour if it curdles. Sieve in flour and baking powder. Add poppy seeds and marmalade. Pour into a lined or greased loaf time (1lb tin). Bake for 40 minutes and if beginning to brown too much turn down to 160 and bake until a skewer comes out clean (approx another 20 -25 minutes).

Allow to cool completely and drizzle icing over.





2 comments:

  1. I can also add that it is delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Going to try a lime marmalade cake with it.......

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love talking food.