Thursday 2 August 2012

Decadently Delicious

What is more decadent than dark chocolate?  Dark chocolate and orange.  What's even more decadent? Chocolate cake and orange curd.

This strange process went through my head while walking back from feeding the pigs.  Why?  Because the veg man had given me oranges for them.  They don't like oranges and the oranges were perfect.

Quite apart from why shops waste so much? But this is not another rant post!

I looked up an orange curd recipe and found this.  It needs to be chilled for a few hours to get a good consistency.



The chocolate cake recipe is as follows:
150g softened butter
150g sugar
3 eggs
100g plain flour
50g extra rouge cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder

Extra rouge cocoa powder is a much stronger cocoa powder than that normally available and gives a real richness. Try and get a local bakery shop to order some for you from their suppliers usually Pallas Foods.


Cream butter and sugar together, add eggs one by one and beat in well until pale and fluffy.  Sieve in cocoa, flour and baking powder.  Divide between two greased sandwich tins and bake in a pre-heated oven gas mark 4/190 C until firm and springs back to a gentle touch.

When cool sandwich with the orange curd.  Top with melted dark chocolate.  I used 100g (75% cocoa solids) but any good quality dark chocolate will work.







Put the kettle on and make a big pot of real tea or good strong coffee and have a slice.  Do not be tempted to have a second.  I did and I almost died!


orange curd, chocolate, extra rouge cocoa powder

2 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds really delicious. I agree with you regarding waste items. Shameful, really, what is discarded. Will definitely do this cake, Maggie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you get on. Having said to add an extra egg yolk I took the curd out of the fridge today and it was well set so maybe make it a day before?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love talking food.