Wednesday 1 August 2012

Rhubarb and Date Tart

I have tried unsuccessfully for the last couple of years to grow rhubarb .  But then I read somewhere that if we have a very dry spell in spring then this could contribute to a poor crop.  Surprisingly, we have had several dry springs the last few years.  This year though my two rhubarb plants bloomed.  They seem to love all the rain and I have already got two good crops.

I made a rhubarb and date chutney and it is presently mellowing in jars in my kitchen cupboards.  I decided to try the combination in a tart and it was surprisingly good.   I am trying to reduce using refined sugar and in as much as possible using muscovado sugar (which is unrefined cane sugar).  However, you need to add 50g sugar to the pastry as the muscovado is a bit course.

Pastry
250g white Spelt flour (or plain white wheat flour)
125g butter
50g sugar
water to make a cohesive dough

Make the pastry by rubbing softened butter into sieved flour.  Stir in the sugar and add enough cold water to bring together and make a dough.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.



500g rhubarb
75g dates chopped
75g muscovado sugar

Cut your dough into two equal halves. Line a 27cm tart tin with pastry.  Fill with the chopped rhubarb and sprinkle the dates and muscovado over.  Roll out the remainder of pastry and top the fruit mix.  Cut 3 vents to allow steam to escape and either egg wash or brush with milk.  Sprinkle a little bit of sugar over.

Place in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 6 for approximately 45 minutes checking if you need to turn the tart around half way through and also reducing heat to gas mark 4 for the last 15 minutes.


I served it with some raspberry and blackcurrant coulis I made as I also had a great crop of both.  I softened the blackcurrants in a pan and then added to the blitzed rasberries.  Pass the mix through a sieve and add some icing sugar to taste. 

Tip - sprinkle some semolina onto the pastry base before adding the filling.  This thickens the juice.







Rhubarb, Dates, Spelt, Tart  muscovado sugar  coulis, raspberry and blackcurrant

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment. I love talking food.