Tuesday 11 March 2014

Meatless Meals

I sometimes find myself going through a meatless phase. I don't know why but very often when I make a meatless meal, (I don't say vegetarian as I almost always use a meat stock) I find I don't miss it at all.

Using lentils in particular make a meal seem almost meaty. Cheese will give a similar result.



I am doing lots of cookery demos at the moment for older people and some young and this was a huge hit.  

Spinach Leek and Ricotta Lasagne

Filling
1 large red onion sliced
3 leeks washed and finely sliced
1 clove of garlic crushed
1 pack of spinach washed
1 250g ricotta (use as much or as little as you like)

Tomato sauce
1 red onion diced
1 clove garlic crushed
Few sprigs fresh thyme (leaves only)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes or passata
Splash of red wine (optional)

Sheets of lasagne
1 or 2 fresh Mozarella balls
Fresh Parmesan grated

Method
Make tomato sauce first by cooking onions and garlic until soft in a little oil. Season. Add thyme and tin of tomatoes and cook down until thickened slightly (about 20 mins).

While the tomato sauce is simmering, in a large frying pan saute the onions, leek and garlic for a few minutes until softened. Season. Add spinach and cook until it is just wilted. Drain off any excess liquid. Cool slightly and stir in ricotta cheese. If you want a lower calorie option you can use a reduced fat creme fraiche.

fabulous contrast in colours


Stir in the ricotta

Layer up tomato sauce, sheets of lasagne and the filling in an oven proof dish. Finish with a layer of tomato sauce and scatter torn pieces of the mozarella. Finish with some parmesan grated.

One for now, one for later


Place in oven at 180C fan for about 25 minutes or until the lasagne feels cooked when pricked with a knife.

Any extra is suitable for home freezing.

Delicious readily available ingredients (chard in place of spinach)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love talking food.