Saturday 22 June 2013

Asparagus Soup

Asparagus soup
I really love asparagus when it's in season, which is now. But I hate throwing away the stalks.

Cue, brainwave!

I made asparagus soup with them.

And it's really, really easy and delicious.


I used the stalks of one bunch and it made enough soup for two servings.









Sweat an onion, a garlic clove, a stick of celery in a mix of olive oil and rapeseed.  Season well and add the leaves from a sprig of fresh thyme.

When they have started to soften, add the asparagus and a small potato if you like a thick soup.

Continue to cook for a few minutes.  Add 300ml chicken stock. Recipe here. Simmer until vegetables are just soft and then blitz to a creamy consistency.

I make stock and freeze in old yoghurt cartons or ricotta tubs. Anything that has a lid really.  It means you always have small quantities handy.

Serve the soup with a sprig of mint (flavour really works well with the asparagus).

And of course some delicious homemade sourdough toasted and dripping in butter.

As my granny said " waste not - want not".











 

Tags: Asparagus soup  asparagus asparagus stalks summer food  summer recipes  Irish food

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love talking food.